Saturday, December 1, 2012

{25 Day of Christmas} DIY Foam Christmas Trees


Tis the holiday season! I like love holiday decorations, thus I've decided to do “Kaitlin’s 25 Days of Christmas”.  Check here daily for a little Chrinspiration (Christmas + Inspiration…get it?!?  No? ) 






I have always seen and liked the foam cones covered in glitter or epsom salt or fabric, or whatever (for tutorials go here, here, or here). However, this season I wanted to try to repurpose and reuse the materials I had on hand (thus there will probably be a lot of foam/cardboard projects….I’m not cheap, I’m thrifty…..only half of that statement is a lie….)


Materials
-Candelabra with tapered candles (or can make individual with single candle stick and tapered candle)
-3 Foam Sheets (I got mine from Walmart, they are available at any craft store)
-Stapler
-Adhesive of choice (Mod Podge, Glitter Glue, Elmers Glue, etc.)
-Glitter and Paint in colors of your choice (I used gold and white glitter, gold paint for the chevron tree; you can skip the mod podge and glitter if you just buy a pre-glittered foam sheet for a few cents more, but where is the fun in that?)

Steps:

1. Cut foam into cone shape.  You can free hand, or use a template.  Mirkwood Designs offers a great free template, which can be found here (I used this template for the 2 gold trees, then free handed for a slightly larger third tree)


2. Cover the foam in adhesive (If painting a design on the tree, do it prior to this step and allow paint to dry)

3. While the adhesive is still tacky/wet cover the foam with glitter.  Pat down the glitter with your finger and make sure there are no bare spots.


4. Set foam aside to dry.
5. Once dry, shape foam into cone shape, and staple at the seam.
6. Optional:  Cover the glitter in mod podge to reduce the possibility of glitter loss.
7. Last step is to cover the tapered candle stick with your new Candle Christmas Tree Shade!






Be sure to check back for more holiday ideas and inspiration! As a special treat to my awesome blog readers, I'm offering a 10% discount on my Etsy products, just use the code HOLIDAY10!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover