Thursday, December 13, 2012

{25 Days of Christmas} Silver Thumbtack Wreaths


Are you ready for ANOTHER wreath tutorial?  I hope you said yes, because that is what you are about to get.  This entire project only cost me $8 in supplies, since I had most of it on hand (it didn't actually cost me any money since my mom picked me up the thumbtacks, thanks moms!!!)


So anyways, I saw Madigan Made’s thumbtack wreath a while ago and have been jonesing to make one for myself.  What better time than Christmas?  The best part about this tutorial is that the wreath is versatile and can be hung during virtually any season; the little thumbtacks almost give a snakeskin/hammered metal appearance.  Loves it!

Disclaimer:  I cannot be held responsible if at the end of this project you get the urge to stab someone with thumbtacks and rip your fingers off.  It is super repetitive and boring, but sitting yourself down with a glass of wine and the movie elf may help to alleviate the monotony.

Materials:
-Cardboard
-Magazines/Newspaper
-Duct Tape
-X Acto Knife
-Silver Thumb Tacks (My 3 6” wreaths used 750 tacks all together, tacks are available at the Dollar store typically in boxes of 200 or 300)
-Ribbon for hanging

Directions:
1. I used the same steps to make a wreath form as I did with my moss wreath.  First, I printed off a 6” circle using Microsoft publisher, then I glued the cut out to the cardboard.


2. Carefully cut out the cardboard shape using the xacto knife. (Do this 3 times to make 3 cardboard wreath bases).  Obviously if you're lazy you can buy foam wreath forms, but I'm cheap and am trying to be green.

3. Crumple up newspapers and magazines, then tape the magazines to the cardboard using the duct tape.  Try to make all 3 wreaths uniform in shape and size.

4. Start poking the thumbtacks through the wreath form.  No glue necessary.  I didn't have a specific pattern, however I found it easiest to work from the inside of the form outward.

5. Continue this process until the entire wreath is covered in thumb tacks (each wreath used around 250 tacks).
6. Optional:  Get your favorite holiday ribbon, make a bow and tie around the wreath for hanging.

And here they are!  Even the boy liked them.  I would say that is a success!


Be sure to check back daily for more holiday inspiration!  As a special treat to readers, I'm offering a 10% discount in my Etsy shop, just use the code HOLIDAY10!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! They look beautiful...I love the impact of 3 of them together! (thanks for the mention, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of information with us. Silver Thumbtacks

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover