Monday, December 3, 2012

{25 Days of Christmas} $3 (or less) Moss Wreath


I know what you're thinking, wreaths two days in a row???  But really, this baby looks adorable, and didn't cost me any money since I already had all of the products on hand.  Even if you have to buy the moss and the ribbon (you probably already have the other materials) this makes for an adorably inexpensive  holiday decoration (Consider changing the bow to transcend holiday seasons, moss wreaths are perfect for the spring!)

Materials:
-Old Magazine Pages/Newspaper
-Cardboard
-Tape (Preferably dark green, but any color will do, I used silver duct tape and it worked just fine!)
-Elmers Glue
-1 package of moss (available at the Dollar Store, I had mine leftover from my terrarium project)
-Ribbon (Optional)

Let me preface this by saying that you can obviously buy a wreath form and cover it with moss and glue, but if you want to be like me a scour your apartment floor's recycling bin, then your best bet is to go the cardboard/magazine route, since it's free!

Steps:
1. Cut the cardboard into desired size.  I used a shape print out in Publisher, and traced/Exacto knifed the cut out.



2.  Crumple up sheets of newspaper or magazines and arrange them around the wreath form


3. Tape the magazine pages to the wreath form.  Fill up blank spaces with small pages of newspaper or magazine.  Try to make the entire wreath uniform.


4. Apply the elmers glue to the wreath form.  I spread the glue thinly around with my finger, then applied the moss directly onto the glue.  If the moss is in clumps, pull it gently to stretch it out in order to get more coverage.
Sorry, my fingers were too gluey to take a picture!

5.  Apply small leftover fragments of moss to any bare areas.  This is why the green tape would work best, as it would conceal any bare spots, however mine were none too noticeable even with the silver tape

6.  Apply a bow, and voila! Hello Freebie/Cheapy Beauty!



Decorations don't have to be expensive in order to make a statement!   As a big thank you to my readers, I'm offering a 10% discount in my Etsy shop, just use the code HOLIDAY10.  Be sure to check back daily for more holiday tips and instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover