Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jersey City

Labor day is in a week, so what does that mean?  My favorite season is almost here!  I <3 Fall.  I love seeing the leaves change, and enjoying the fall breeze in Chicago.  I don't necessarily enjoy the fact that I know what season comes after fall....but let's keep on topic!  Fall!

Two essential reasons why I love fall:

  1. I'm one season closer to being done with school (I finished OB/GYN on Friday- that means:  No more stinky warty vajay jays in the forseeable future!! I tell you- some of the things I saw should be on scared straight: abstinence edition.)
  2.  I get to wear layers and layers of clothing without being questioned on why I'm not living at a homeless shelter.


Fall clothes are the best.  Jackets, sweaters, boots, you name it, I love it. Summer time is misery.  I  look like Casper the ghost, and people know it....but in the fall....in the fall I can cover up my pasty legs and chicken fat arms and people are none the wiser.

An essential accessory to any fall wardrobe:  The scarf.  I have a love affair with scarves; I own one in nearly every color.  They're versatile-  Use them on an airplane as a pillow.  Use them on the CTA as a breathing device.  Oh yeah, use them for warmth.
Last week I was google image searching and came across DeWanda's Braided Loopina Scarf.

It was love at first sight.  I wanted it NOW....but the page was in German.  I can barely speak Spanish, sometimes I even have trouble with English...German noway.  I did my best to translate, and found the fabric is a cotton jersey. The scarf retails for 35 euros, aka $50.  I often second guess myself spending $1 on a McDonalds cheeseburger, so $50 on a jersey scarf ain't gonna fly.

Time to get creative.

Step 1:  Gather Fabric.  I searched online for jersey fabrics; I was having a hard time finding cheap gray jersey material...and then it hit me!  A year ago I purchased a Gray jersey sheet set from Kohls for $12.  Super cheap, super comfy!  I HATE flat top sheets unless they are really nice material, so stored away in brand new condition was exactly what I needed!
2.  Cut material.  The size of the material strips is up to you.  I cut two 8"x60" strips and two 4"x60" strips  (The flat sheet measured 80"x60" so I cut the entire width of the flat sheet). 

  •  From the 4 strips, I further cut those down to size.  Leave one 8" strip untouched, and one 4" strip untouched.  Cut the remaining two strips into thirds length wise (ex. one 8" strip turns into 3-  2.5"x60" strips)

3.  Braid the two sets of strips just cut

4.  Sew the ends of the braids together to make a loop. (so you will have two sets of looped braids)
5.  Sew the ends of the 8" jersey together.  Sew the ends of the 4" jersey together.

Note:  While I have dreams of being the next winner of Project Runway, my sewing skills are more along the lines of ... kindergartner.  Michael Kors would be disgusted and Heidi Klum would tell me I'm out.  Just do as I say...and not as I sew.
8" strip with ends sewn together
6.  Gather/bundle all 4 sets of strips/braids at the areas you sewed.  Cut a square piece of jersey wide and long enough to tie and cover the sewn areas.  You can either sew the square on...or be lazy like me and knot it on.

You can make it a little prettier by sewing the jersey on...but my time is precious!

7.  Voila!  $50 scarf meet Kaitlin's free remnant wannabe.
The great thing about this project is that you can customize!  Make as many braids in as many sizes and colors as you want!  If you go my route...a flat sheet will make about 3 scarves....perfect for gifts.....who wants one?


4 comments:

Pin It button on image hover