Saturday, July 2, 2011

River Rock Mat

One three hour flight, and 40 minute blue line ride later, I'm back in Chicago.  
So long Miami, it was nice while it lasted. 

I just spent the week visiting my sister in FL, and it was ah-mazing.  I frequently toy with the idea of "homeless beach bum" but the designer shoe urge overcomes me, and I'm back to reality.  So, since I can't live near the beach, I'm bringing the beach to me (well it's more rivery....semi beachy....).

Disclaimer: technically I do live near a beach, but with headlines such as "Swim bans for 2 Chicago beaches due to E.Coli"....I think I'll pass.

Today's beach themed project:  Beach (okay RIVER) Rock Mat

About a year ago I purchased a few bags of black river rocks from the dollar store, with every intention of making a river rock epoxy table top like one I had seen in Miami.  I did not realize at the time, how lazy and poor I really am.  The table top never got made, and I don't foresee it being completed anytime in the near future.  So, now what to do with 3 bags of river rocks?  

I came across my inspiration:  CB2 Pebble Mat- Retailing for $44.95

I thought, yep I can make that.....and soon realized I wasn't alone.  I googled DIY pebble mat, and found literally hundreds of tutorials.  So, turns out this isn't a Kaitlin original idea.  I tried.

Here's the how-to:

Ikea "Borris" Door Mat- $1.49

+

6 Bags of Dollar Tree River Rocks- $6.00
+
1 Large tube E6000 glue (BEST GLUE EVER!)- $3.49
=


It's pretty self explanatory.  Glue the rocks to the mat in whatever pattern you like.  The glue works great, and the mat has a latex backing that keeps the mat in place, perfect for a bath mat.  Your first instinct might be- doesn't it hurt to walk on rocks?  No, you don't need to have callused superhuman feet to like this rug.  It feels like the spa has come to me every time I step on it.  Rajah doesn't think it's too bad either.


P.S. Detailed Miami adventure post to come soon....as soon as my fingers get the motivation to type another post.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover